Friday, May 9, 2008

The Three M's - Mid-life, Menopause & Metabolism

Like most women, I never lost all the weight gained during my two pregnancies. It's hard to call it baby fat when your baby is nearly 17. At any rate, I was comfortable with where my weight was at and it remained steady through an active lifestyle and consistent exercise. Then I hit menopause, and all of a sudden the "sort of" watching what I ate and the three days a week of exercise weren't enough. My weight kept creeping up until I weighed more than when I had been pregnant. When you are vertically challenged like me, it's hard to hide the extra pounds. Like most Americans, I made a new year's resolution to lose weight. My motivator is my son's wedding in June. My husband and I joined a new fitness center in January, and I continued my membership with Butterfly Life, a women only facility. Through their weight loss express program and working out 4-5 days per week, I am proud to say that I have lost 19 pounds to date. My goal was 15 pounds, and I like having those few extra pounds to play with, so to speak. I feel so much better now, and I know I will look better in my dress at the wedding. Bottom line, pardon the pun, is that you can give your metabolism a kick in the butt!

No comments: