Friday, April 17, 2009

Is That a Perm?


My nephew Joe is a really funny guy, and I can always count on our holiday gatherings being even more lively when he shares a story. He works for a municipality west of the St. Louis area, and the pranks the employees play on one another are just outrageous. As are the things that happen to him in real life. Last Saturday night, his stepson got married in a rural area in Missouri. Following the wedding in a local church and the reception at the local fairgrounds, Joe and his wife went to join another family member in a bar at the nearest town. For one drink.Well, you know how that goes... Around 1:00 a.m. Joe went into the men's room. He was standing at a urinal when another guy, complete with a cowboy hat, came into the room and took his place at the urinal next to Joe's. Cowboy began staring at him. "Staring at you, as in checking out your equipment?", I asked. "No, just staring at my face." When Joe inquired as to if something was wrong, the not-so-urban cowboy said, "I ain't never seen a white boy with a perm before." Does that mean he's seen other non-white boys with perms? But I digress. Joe explained that it was not a perm. Cowboy then wanted to know if Joe lived in the area, and he told him that he lives in St. Louis city. "They let you get away with having hair like that in St. Louis?!?", Cowboy incredulously exclaimed. At this point my nephew decided he needed to finish his business and get the heck out of Dodge. I told him he should just be glad that Cowboy didn't decide to check and see if Joe's hat matched his purse. If you know what I mean.

No comments: