Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Because You Only Turn 60 Once

Jim's cookie cake
Since January I had been keeping a secret from my husband. That was extremely difficult for me. I didn't tell anyone else about it because we have had family surprises ruined in the past by loose lips. Our son and daughter-in-law had booked tickets to St. Louis to surprise Jim for his 60th birthday, much like they had surprised me in New York when we were there celebrating my launch into a new decade. Jim's birthday is March 2nd, and the kids were not flying in until close to midnight that night. I had earlier suggested to Jim that we celebrate his birthday over the weekend since we had just gotten back from our cruise and visiting Katie in LA. He was totally fine with that idea.

SWT Design took him out to lunch on the 2nd, and invited me to come along. They also had a pretty awesome cookie cake made for him, so I didn't feel too bad about not having cake on his actual birthday. The next morning I picked up Andy and Megan at the hotel where they had spent the night since they were flying in so late. I couldn't figure out how I was going to sneak out of the house at 11:30 at night to get them without arising his suspicion, so they decided to go the hotel route. We drove directly to his office and surprised him there. And was he ever shocked! He had no idea the planning that went on behind his back. Tee, hee! We took him to a new restaurant, The Slider House in Rock Hill, for lunch and then dropped him back off at the office.

He was able to take a few hours off over the next couple of days, and we had a really nice visit with the kids. Friday night we took him to Citizen Kane's for the real celebration, and then had cake and ice cream back at the house where he could finally open his gifts.
Jim's 60th birthday
On Saturday, Megan's mom and dad drove over from Indiana. We always have such a good time with them! We are so blessed to not only have a daughter-in-law whom we love, but one who comes from such a fabulous family as well. We chatted and ate pizza, and then brought out the card games. We broke long enough to enjoy the meal Jim and I prepared, and then jumped right back into a hot game of Sequence. One game led to another, and we finally called it quits at 1:00 in the morning. As the kids had an early flight the next morning, we thought it prudent to head off to bed at that point.

Six o'clock a.m. came way too early Sunday, and before we knew it everyone was taking off for home. I think I am safe in saying that we made turning 60 pretty memorable for Jim!

1 comment:

Mrs. Wryly said...

All of those great surprises and gifts, too! That Jim is a lucky dude!