Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Photography Challenge Week 17

This week's photography prompt certainly put the challenge in photography challenge! It started simply enough by asking us to shoot a balanced image. The twist was to do so in a way that it would represent the "Accidental Renaissance" style. What the heck is that? I spent some quality time with Google to try to understand this photo movement. It all began, supposedly, when someone posted a photograph online in 2014 of a brawl in the Ukranian Parliament.  The photo was shared on Twitter, and the comment was that it looked like a Renaissance painting. The photo went viral, and the term "Accidental Renaissance" was coined.

The renaissance period was from the 14th-17th centuries, so I looked at a lot of paintings from that time period. It struck me that lighting was key for getting the shot. Obviously, if I was going to stage the subject matter, it takes the "accidental" out of the equation. I selected items I had here at the house - my mom's hymnal, my husband's grandfather's glasses, my pearls, my husband's pocket watch, my parent's original wedding bands, and an old skeleton key. My husband held the light source so I could experiment with light angles. I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Dogwood Photography Challenge Week 17

No comments: