Sunday, May 9, 2010

RE: Mother's Day


This is the first Mother's Day in 25 years that I will not have at least one of my children at home with me. It feels a little strange, and I am happy that I will be spending the day at a picnic with my sister and all of her extended family. But if I am being truly honest, I will admit that Mother's Day has never really felt like it was MY day. It has always been the day to honor my own mother. That may be because I was a daughter first, and a mother second. I don't really know.

My mom died unexpectedly in 1989 when I was only 32 years old. I think of her often, but especially on Mother's Day. For years I could not even look at the Mother's Day cards - I insisted that Jim pick out the card for his mom. I am over that now, but reading the sentimental verses is still hard for me.

So as I go about the day, I offer up a prayer of thanks to my mom, for making my life possible. Love you, Mom!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great post! I lost my mom when I was 14. This morning I looked through old photos and reminisced. But I didn't get teary-eyed this year, just smiled and remembered good times. But there are so many more good times to come. My own kids sent me flowers, but stayed at college, and I'm fine with that too. I hope you have a good day!

Mrs. Wryly said...

Now, you've both got me teary-eyed thinking about how proud your moms would be of each of you and all you've accomplished in your lives. Especially being terrific parents!

That is a gem of a picture, Kim. Thanks for sharing on this day that is bittersweet for you.