Saturday, August 4, 2012

Egg-citing Stuff!

Have you ever had a double yolk egg? When we were kids it was always fun when mom would crack open a double yolker while making breakfast. Most double yolk eggs are laid by young hens. Sometimes the hen releases two yolks in quick succession and both yolks are trapped in a single shell. Supposedly the odds of getting an egg with a double yolk are one in one thousand. So imagine my surprise when I was making breakfast last weekend and found this!

Three double yolk eggs
And then the next morning I got this! All the eggs were from the same carton.

Two double yolk eggs
I hard boiled the remainder of the eggs in the box, and each and every one of them had a double yolk. So ten of the twelve eggs in the carton had two yolks.

Hard boiled double yolk egg



People keep telling me that I should go and buy a lottery ticket. I have been entering the KSDK 17 iPads in 17 Days contest to no avail, so my luck is not transferring over there. For more egg laying fun, check out this website.

Another hard boiled double yolk egg

1 comment:

Mrs. Wryly said...

Young chicks are over-achievers.