Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring Has Sprung


I had to run to the fabric store tonight since I was a little short on the fabric I needed for the main squares on the graduation quilt. I about had a heart attack when I arrived at the shop and noticed there was no more of the necessary fabric on the shelf. I have 57 of the required 70 squares complete, so changing the design at this stage of the game would be a huge problem. But then I spied the fabric on a clearance table. The good news is that it was now only $4.99/yard. The bad news is that there was 1 1/3 yards folded on the table and you had to take the whole thing. I only need 1/3 yard, but I was so excited to find it that I took it all. As we quilters say, there's no such thing as too large of a fabric stash. I'll find a use for the remainder later on. I mention all of this because my favorite fabric store happens to be located near my favorite ice cream store - Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard. This custard is so rich that you consume all of your daily calories in one concrete or sundae. We only go a couple of times a year, usually when company is in town. But today was so beautiful, and the temperature was still 63 degrees. So my husband rode along with me, even braving the female dominated fabric store first - that's how much he loves his TDs. When we arrived at the custard stand, I couldn't believe my eyes. You would have thought George Clooney was there or something. (He is in town filming a new movie.) The place was packed! There were at least 15 people lined up in front of each of the windows. But what a great place to people watch. Families, lovers, high school and college students, dog lovers with dogs in tow, motorcyle enthusiasts...you name it, you'll find it in line at TDs. The wait never seems long as it is so fascinating to look and listen. And the wait doesn't matter anyway - it is always worth it!

No comments: