Monday, December 10, 2012

Webster Groves Library

Webster Groves Library front
Several years ago the citizens in my community voted for a tax levy to fund an addition to our local library. Though we have had a library of some sort in Webster Groves since 1890, the existing building was constructed in 1951. Over the years the auditorium was re-purposed as the area for children leaving no space for author visits, educational seminars or community meetings. Existing technology was also a little behind the times. Construction began on the remodeling and addition over a year ago, and the library reopened to the public last Monday. I ran in to take some photographs (and check out a few books), and I am just amazed at the transformation. I am usually a little cool towards uber modern additions on old buildings, but the new space is open, airy and spacious. I can't even imagine how happy the staff must be in their new surroundings. Here are some of the photos I took.
Webster Groves Library rear
new atrium


reading room
seating area
children's area
rocking chairs

children's seating area
The official ribbon cutting and open house was on Saturday morning, so Jim and I went to it so that he could see the changes. It is always interesting to go to something like that with him as he has a different perspective on buildings than I do since he has a design degree. He agreed that it was a remarkable improvement. Now I am eager to go back and take a closer look at the reference room and materials. I think there may be some things I can find on my Shrewsbury research there, and I am always looking for house research resources that I can add to my Webster Groves House Research Facebook page.
 

3 comments:

Donna Volkenannt said...

Your library looks wonderful. I love the look of the big windows in the reading room.

Kim Wolterman said...

Thanks for the comment Donna. They have since added lamps to the reading tables and it really lends a nice ambiance to the reading room now. I can't wait to go back and do some research!

Mrs. Wryly said...

Wow, the outside does not reveal the secret of how awesome it is inside. I hope you will appear there with a big crowd for your next book launch!