Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day 2013

Dad, me and my brother Joe circa 1958
It is hard to believe that my dad has been dead for over nine years now. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. Here is the poem that I wrote and put on display at his funeral in 2004.


Saying Good-Bye



Rest easy now, and soar above

Be joined by all of those you’ve loved.

And while it’s hard to let you go,

You are in a better place, I know.



You served your country, served it well

At times it must have seemed a living hell.

Perhaps the family you left behind

Brought you back, sound of body and mind.



The years, they passed, your family grew

Until once again it was just you two.

You filled the time with volunteering and fun

The trips, the poor, a chorale group to run.



The life you lived was full and long

And through it all you seemed so strong.

Though you’re gone and in a different place

The footprints you’ve left won’t be erased.



So how can I bear to say good-bye

Not question the reason or the why?

I look in my heart and I know it’s true

No better father could I have had than you!


Happy Father's Day, dad! Love and miss you!

No comments: