Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Sew Much Fun!

baby quilt
My daughter's best friend M had a baby this month. M is like another daughter to me as the girls came to our house from school nearly every day and ate their lunch. I decided to make a baby quilt as a gift. There is no rush as I don't see M and her husband unless Katie is in town. Which is too bad, as I would love to get my hands on that baby! It is partly for this reason I decided not to make the quilt look too baby, and rather do it in fabrics that Baby Z can grow with. As M loves cats, that became the theme for the quilt. I have a bunch of fun, bright, quirky cat fabrics from a quilt I made for myself, so I used those as a starting point for the quilt. I added the yellow and blue squares in between as the cat prints are pretty busy.
quilt top
I found this pretty yellow print fabric to use for the border, and the top of the quilt is now complete.

My next decision is what to do with the back of the quilt. I can make it one, solid color or mix it up with a couple different fabrics. I saw an idea online to add the baby's name on the back. I liked that, so I made her name out of a cute paw print and mouse fabric, and will appliqué the letters on the back of the quilt once I have the new fabric/fabrics selected. I have never made anything like that before. It was fun to learn something new, and not as difficult as I had imagined.

When the back is complete I will layer batting between the top and the bottom before quilting it all together. Another decision needs to be made at that point. Sew it on the machine? Tie the layers together with thread or yarn? Then I will need to make one more fabric purchase for the binding, which completes the quilt. I'll need to see all the fabric colors together in order to select one that will blend with the others. Fun times!

1 comment:

Mrs. Wryly said...

Oh, Baby Z and her parents will love this! It is so visual and bright. The kind of gift that will be kept and handed down for sure, perfect to be given by a genealogist!