Friday, July 7, 2017

Breast Biopsy Results

Early this afternoon the home phone rang, and caller ID revealed that it was St. Anthony's calling me. I thought that was odd as I had the mammograms and biopsy done at Missouri Baptist. I picked it up anyway, and it was my primary care doctor's office. She asked if I had been given my pathology results yet, and I said I hadn't heard a word yet. She said they had just gotten them, and that the results were BENIGN!!!! What a huge relief, and a blessing not to have that hanging over me the whole weekend. She asked that I call their office back after I heard from Missouri Baptist regarding what kind of follow-up they were recommending.

About a half hour later, Missouri Baptist called me with the same report. She said the biopsy had come back with the cells being identified as stromal fibrosis. Fibrosis refers to an increase in dense connective breast tissue. It is a very common finding, occuring in up to 7% of suspicious breast lesions examined by biopsy. According to the American Cancer Society, fibrosis does not increase your risk of developing breast cancer later on. More good news.

They do want me to come back in six months for a repeat mammogram and ultrasound of the right breast. When I asked why, since the biopsy came back negative, I was told it was to make sure nothing had changed. I have to admit that I am a little concerned about all the x-ray exposures on this one breast. There were the two views at the routine mammogram, three views at the screening mammogram, and two more views following the biopsy. It is something I will be asking questions about, especially since they established a baseline mammogram after the biopsy was performed.

But setting all that aside for the moment, I am one lucky lady!


2 comments:

SAMPUBCO said...

Worry no more about the xrays, etc because the standard is no less than 30-60 days between the takes.

I know because I had to wait 90 days just for one MRI as well as other various reasons. My doctor tells me in my area it's 60 days minimum for standard checkups. There are at least 3 different types of Xrays, the standard one, then Catscan then the MRI. MRI is very intensive.

Kim Wolterman said...

Thank you, David. That is good information to know.