Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Making Face Masks

sewing face masks
While the US government still has yet to specifically state that we should all wear face masks when we are out in public, that day may be soon coming. It also just makes sense to do so. While any mask short of the N-95 worn by health care workers will not protect you from getting COVID-19, wearing a mask will aid in preventing you from spreading it (and other germs) to others in case you have the virus and just don't realize it. Wearing a mask also prevents you from touching your nose and mouth, two of the three entry points for the virus. (The third being your eyes.)

Jim's mask
On Saturday I began researching homemade face masks. There are a lot of free patterns on the web, and I found a reliable source for a pattern. The only modification I made to it was to add a layer of quilt batting to the middle. Three layers of protection should be better than two, right? Using a fun fabric of 100%, tightly woven cotton, I made Jim's mask first. It took about five hours, which was disheartening even if it did look pretty good. After I finished I then read that you shouldn't make a mask that has a seam up the center as that allows more hole points for the virus to enter. Ugh! I think Jim's will be safe because of the thick layer of batting, but I searched for a different style for future masks.

Once I settled on a new pattern I began to cut fabric for my own mask. In the meantime a friend in the neighborhood whose husband is very ill asked if I could make five masks for family members so that they could wear them to keep her husband safe from any germs they may be carrying. Of course I was willing to help out, and I made her one with the new pattern so she could try it our for size and comfort.

first mask for my friend 
mask with elastic straps
I discovered that the most time consuming part came from making the straps. Elastic is a quicker method, but that is as hard to find as toilet paper right now. However, this same friend happened to have a few packs of elastic, which she gave to me. What a difference from a time standpoint! I made her second mask with the elastic, and then asked her which strap option she preferred. She liked the elastic, so I was able to quickly finish up her five, then make my own. I prefer the straps, so that is what I made for my own.
masks for my friend


my mask

I have since made three additional masks for my next door neighbors and their daughter. They are fortunate enough to have some medical masks which were ordered before the pandemic struck. So I left an opening in their masks where they can place the medical version inside and then replace as needed.

Others out of town have asked about me making masks to send to them. So far I have not committed because how will I mail them? I do not want to be anywhere near a post office or UPS store right now. Perhaps that makes me selfish, and I do feel a little bad about it. I will check into buying postage online because I do have envelopes here I can use. If I just put one in an envelope I believe it will slide into the outgoing mail slots we have here onsite.

Who could have ever imagined that the first time I would use my sewing machine after moving would be to sew masks to help fight a pandemic?

No comments: