Thursday, January 19, 2023

Dissolvable Stitches?

Who would have thought that the term dissolvable stitches is actually an oxymoron? Before the plastic surgeon stapled my head wounds closed following Mohs surgery for basal cell carcinoma, he stitched them with "dissolvable" thread. Supposedly your body gradually absorbs the sutures so you don't have to return to the doctor to have them removed.

When I went in two weeks post surgery to have the staples removed, I was told that the other sutures should dissolve on their own. If not, I am supposed to go back in and have them removed in the office. I wasn't too concerned about it, but now that all the scabs have come off, the other sutures are poking through my scalp. They feel like fishing line. While no one can see them due to my hair, I know that they are there and I pick at them.

While I do know some people who have removed their own stitches, mine seem pretty attached to my scalp. I'm going to try to leave them alone for now. I see the dermatologist again the end of February, so if they are not gone by then I'll just have her take them out at that point. I may have to at least trim a couple of them in the meantime though. I don't want my comb or brush to catch on them. Dissolvable? I don't think so.

No comments: