Wednesday, March 22, 2023

More Skin Cancer

Because of the two basal cell carcinomas found in my scalp last November, the dermatologist wanted to see me three months following the Mohs surgery. I went in the end of February, where she did an all body scan. She asked about a spot on my left neck, and I reminded her that she had put liquid nitrogen on it the last time I was in. She decided to biopsy the spot, along with one a few inches behind it. They put bandages on both before I left due to bleeding. I left those on overnight as I didn't want to get blood on my pillowcase.

Unfortunately, I have an allergy to latex - specifically bandages, oddly enough. By the next morning the spots on my neck had angry red welts, and they itched like crazy. I put an antibiotic ointment on them, and recovered them with bandages that have paper tape on them. That was also a mistake, as the welts and itching got worse. So I had to leave them uncovered, and used Benadryl cream on the welts.

Both the biopsies came back positive for basal cells, but apparently they are in the very early stages. So instead of having the plastic surgeon in the office do Mohs surgery, she is going to do an ED&C on them. I wasn't sure what that meant, so I had to ask Dr. Google. It stands for electrodesiccation and curettage, and is a procedure where they basically scrape off the cancerous cells. I have not had this done before, despite being on cancer spots number 17 & 18. I'm not sure exactly how they will know if they have gotten all the cells. With Mohs they examine each removal in the lab to make sure that they have gotten clean margins in the piece. If not, they go back and take more. Apparently with the ED&C, they will make three passes over each of the basal cells to try to remove all the cancerous tissue. The procedure has a 95% success rate, so hopefully I will fall into that category. I'm not scheduled until next month, so I'll report back on how it goes.

I'm not sure I followed up here regarding the infection in my scalp. Two weeks after they took a scraping to check for infection, it ended up that my one wound had a MRSA infection. This was definitely a surprise to me, as the most common way you get this type of infection is from a hospital or other health care setting. My guess is I got it when they removed my staples back in December. I opted to continue with the topical antibiotic rather than taking an oral antibiotic. Fortunately after another week of use the infection went away, and was cleared up before we went to Africa. I'm praying the next surgeries will not have any surprises coming out of them. 

Monday morning I got up early and walked down to a nearby point on the lake. It was cold, and fog was rising off the water. I'm reminded that beauty is all around us if we only look for it.

Mountain Island Lake

No comments: