Thursday, April 20, 2023

More Basal Cell Surgery

basal cell surgery
Yesterday the dermatologist performed an ED&C to remove the two basal cell carcinomas they found on my neck last month. Basically this involved them numbing the two spots, and then using a tool to scrape off the skin cells. She performed this procedure three times on each spot, using a cautery machine between each scraping to stem the bleeding. It really didn't take her too long, and the worst parts were the shots to numb the areas and the smell of something burning when she used the cautery machine.

The two spots were bandaged when she was done, and I reminded them that I have an allergy to the adhesive on bandages. This time they used gauze and some non-latex tape. I'm supposed to keep Vaseline and bandages on for two weeks, but I doubt I'll be able to tolerate that even with the new tape. She said as long as I keep the spots moist with Vaseline, the bandage really doesn't matter. I suspect they are really to protect my clothes from the ointment, as well as the sores from being rubbed by my clothes.

I haven't removed the bandages yet as I am going out to dinner and to a play with a few of my female pickleball players from the neighborhood. I wasn't sure I would be able to secure the gauze as well as the nurse did. I'll definitely do it when I get home tonight though. It will be interesting to see what the wounds look like since I haven't had this procedure done before.

No comments: