My friend and another of the Porch Pickers decided to offer free guitar lessons. So I had my guitar restrung, and joined the ten others who wanted to give it a try. I had forgotten how long and painful it is to toughen up your fingertips, and I play a classical guitar which has nylon stings instead of metal. I began in May, and stuck with it, practicing every day. (Even though some guitarists from the band still came to the "beginner" sessions. What the heck?) But despite all my efforts, I just could not make a few of the chords work. I don't remember having that issue when I was in my 20s, but maybe I just forgot. At any rate, I was getting frustrated with myself.
I tried Jim's guitar, which is acoustic and has a little smaller neck. And then I tried a smaller guitar that someone in the neighborhood let me borrow. I wasn't happy with those options. So I decided to try the ukulele! It is, of course, MUCH smaller, and only has four strings instead of six. The strings are nylon as well, and easier on the fingers. I just picked it up on Saturday, and on Sunday I purchased an online program to follow.
The instructor coincidentally was beginning a fingerpicking challenge this week, so I joined in on that as well. I might have bitten off more than I can chew with the challenge, but so far I am really enjoying my experience with the ukulele. I miss hanging out with the other guitarists here, but I hope that I can find someone else who plays the ukulele so that we can practice together. If not, maybe I can find someone online through the Facebook groups. Come tiptoe through the tulips with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment