Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Oh, Those Naked Ladies


The naked ladies are in my back yard again. Good thing I have fences and other plants to help provide them with cover! Okay, get your mind out of the gutter. Naked ladies, otherwise known as surprise lilies, are plants. What's fun about them, other than their name, is that you have no idea where they are planted. They have no foliage, instead they just burst out of the ground. Thus it is always a surprise when they pop up.

We did not plant the naked ladies. They have been in the yard for the entire 22 years we have lived here, and I wonder how old they really are. They provide a lovely palette of color in the garden during a time period when not much else is blooming. My favorite naked lady story occurred about 20 years ago. My in-laws were down visiting us from Iowa. I glanced out the kitchen window and exclaimed, "The naked ladies are back!" I have never seen two people jump out of their chairs so fast. I'm surprised they didn't strain their necks when they whipped their heads around! They did not realize I was talking about the plants. We still laugh about the nudists in my garden to this day.

2 comments:

Mrs. Wryly said...

Naked ladies are one thing, but old naked ladies..... If I wanted to see THAT, I'd look in the mirror.

J. M. Strother said...

We call 'em magic lilies here. I love them. You have a few more than we do. I need to get more. :)
~jon