Tuesday, September 25, 2012

An Afternoon in New Haven, Missouri

Necklace from Astral Glass Studio
 Jim and I did not see much of each other Saturday since I had an all-day conference and he had a company picnic that went into the evening hours. Sunday afternoon we decided to take his fun little car out for a drive, heading west on Interstate 44. We ended up in New Haven, which Jim was familiar with as he has ridden his motorcycle there before. The old town area has some interesting shops, some with antiques and another showcasing the work of local artists. The one that really caught my attention was Astral Glass Studio. Beyond having beautiful glass pieces on display throughout the store, there is a small seating area where you can sit and watch the glass blowers. How fun! I decided to pick up a necklace, and we had a nice young woman helping us. She patiently drug out all the necklaces I wanted to look at. I finally had it narrowed down to two, and chose the nature design because that is near and dear to my heart. It wasn't until I made my selection that the gal shyly told me that it was a necklace that she had designed and made. That made my choice all the more special, and we had her autograph the little card that was displayed by the necklace. I can't wait to wear it.

We decided to have an early dinner at Somebody's in town. We were the only ones in there, which was kind of weird. The service was so-so and I would describe our meals the same way. After I got home I looked at reviews of the place and they have a good reputation. I wish I would have researched it before we got there and made a different meal selection. Oh well...

After we ate we walked along the river trail a bit and checked out the two bed and breakfast houses. They both look cute, though the one is for sale. Room rates are shown at $150 per night, which seems pretty steep for the area. Maybe that is why the one is for sale.

Overall, a very nice stress-free day with the hubby. We needed it for the weekend we have coming up!

glass and copper necklace


5 comments:

Mrs. Wryly said...

That is a really beautiful necklace, indeed.

Megan said...

Astral Glass is my grandparents' shop, and that necklace was made by my little sister. =)

Kim Wolterman said...

Megan, I love my necklace, and can't tell you how many compliments I have received on it!

Katelynn said...

Thank you for writing this little blog and including me in it! I'm so glad you love the necklace so much! That was one of my favorite ones I have made. It's great to see that it is loved. :D

Kim Wolterman said...

Thanks for stopping by Katelynn. The necklace is one of my most treasured pieces. Keep up the great work!