Saturday, February 13, 2010

Who's on First?

Yesterday I went to the local grocery store, and this is how the conversation between the checker and the bagger went:

bagger - "Did you get the coke?"

checker - "No, I'm not cold."

bagger - "I'm sorry you're cold."

checker - "I'm not cold."

bagger - "Do you want my coat?"

checker - "I said I'm not cold."

befuddled customer (me) - "He asked if you got my coke!"

checker - "Coke?"

befuddled customer - "It was the first thing you rang up."

I felt like I was in the middle of an Abbott and Costello routine. Tell me again - who's on first? I think we might be a couple bases shy of a full playing field.

1 comment:

Mrs. Wryly said...

Well, the core of the conversation--at least for one of them--was business-related. I hate when the checker does not acknowledge me (the customer) and continues his/her dialogue with the bagger about personal or work-related topics. Not that I necessarily want to chit-chat with the checker, but I don't want to hear what they're doing after work or what's wrong with the new manager.

No, I'm not cold; I just don't care.